Monday, March 8, 2010

In the month od "Sajibu" or "April" month of Manipuri.

In the month of Sajibu or April, the Manipuri's are so enthusiastic to celebrate the New Year's day or "Cheirouba" according to the lunar calender. They all are eagerly waiting foe this day to come. According to the lunar calender, we are passing through "Lamta" or March in english divisions marking the onset of spring season. From Sajibu Cheirouba (new years day of manipuri) marks the start of a new seasonal called Sajibu.

This reminds me of something very nostalgic moments in my childhood days when I was at home with my family,this is the time to enjoy eating seasonal foods such as spring herbs which are plentiful in the area of Manipur's nook and the corner. The smell of earth when first rain hit on the surface of our mother earth, the spring herbs like Kengoi, Yellang, Peruk, Heiba Mana, Uthum, Hawai mana etc.

Today all of sudden, far far away from home I feel so tempted to have taste of all those "Mana Masing" or Seasonal Herbs and eagerly want to hear the crock crock sound of Hangoi or frog.Feel like having a sip of my mom's special Mukthrubi leaf's tea.When I recall all those moment specially childhood days i feel so envious of those rich culture and tradition of Manipur.

Bobok or Grand Ma's bed time story , a story full of fantasies not of Princess charming but the story of insects, ants and story of girl who turned into flower. Oh, I feel like going back to those old days spending time together with My grandma. Listening stories sitting next to Meiphu during the Inthamtha or Winter season. Eating roasted potato, Koukha and many other things and demanding to tell more stories (bobok amaga bobok amaga).


to be continue....

No comments: