Friday, March 5, 2010

Cheirouba : Sol-Nal or New Year day of Manipuri people.

It was just two weeks ago I have come across my first Korean New Years day. Well it was really big day for Korean, 2 or 3 days consecutive holiday. Shops are closed and streets bore a deserted look in the heart of Seoul city as most of the people go back to their own respective home town to celebrate the very auspicious day with all their family members.
Since we are new here we do not have much Korean friends –no invitation for Sol-Nal. Well Most of the Korean would like to celebrate the New Year day with their family members and relatives. Wearing traditional dress called Hanbok and prepares eatable like Mandu and Taak etc.
So on that very day, I called up all my known Korean friends and teacher and wish them to have a wonderful day with their near and dear ones. We also had one small gathering in one of our senior place. We had some homemade food and decided to go out somewhere. The destination was random and made a sudden plan and somehow we manage to visit Namsan Tower. I was not expecting of seeing people because of the new years day but on the contrary lots of people were there.
The next day when we go to class our teacher asked us about weekend and the experience of Korean New Years day. Among us one of my friend answered quickly saying that “the weekend was really boring because we are foreigners and very new here, so no friends no invitation to take part the Sol –Nal, and the street were deserted and the shops were closed ‘Son-Sengnim’ (teacher).
But on coming Tuesday we have our own Cheiraoba or New Year day of Manipuri. I wish to go home, enjoy with my family eat all kind of ‘Ensang or dishes’ and climb up a Hill ( traditional custom of Manipuri people to climb up a hill after having nice meal with their family members on the new years day). Unfortunately, I cannot go because I am in different country and moreover I am having classes. No Panghak or vacation but I wish to attend the Cheirouba. I long to see those yellow Kusum lei (kind of flower offer to the god on the cheirouba particularly), want to attend Sajibu gi thabal (name of dance particularly performed on the cheirouba day). Oh, I am going to missed Cheirouba this year too, staying away from home, shaping my future career but I wish to take part next year. Every year I wish this wish and I will wish again, because I am not the only person who is away from home. But we all love to be at our lovely hometown, celebrate with our near and dear one.
To all my friends today in advance, I am sending all my best wishes to all of you on the coming eve of Chirouba (Manipuri New Years day). May this New Year bring happiness, prosperity, healthy and peaceful life.

2 comments:

gautamsalam said...

Whether I am in any part of the world, yesterday I celebrate the Meitei Cheiraoba in Guwahati with my family members. You can also celebrate the sajibu cheiraoba in Korea and describe our rich culture to your friends though being a tiny state

Yaisana Huidrom said...

sure I will do that..........